Six arrests after suspected drug deal goes wrong

One person was shot, four injured and six arrested in a Berlin fight over an apparent drug deal gone wrong Tuesday. All those involved have refused to talk about the deal that appears to have sparked the fight.

Six arrests after suspected drug deal goes wrong
Photo: DPA

According to a report in Berlin’s B.Z. newspaper, one party was unhappy with a delivery, made in the relatively respectable district of Charlottenburg. After a shot was fired, all those involved sped off in four different cars.

Witnesses who called the police were able to note down the registration numbers of some of the cars, one of which was a conspicuous red BMW which the police were able to stop shortly afterwards. Its three occupants were arrested.

In the car, the police found packages of sugar, a substance often used to cut cocaine, but a test for the drug was negative. Police were not able to confirm speculation that the fight broke out over a drug deal.

The 38-year-old man who was injured by the shot drove himself to hospital, where he was also arrested. Two more men were arrested at the scene of the fight. Police are still looking for the gun.

“All the suspects refuse to talk about the causes of the fight,” a police spokesman said.

The Local/bk

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


German jailed for life in double police murder

A German man was given a life sentence on Wednesday for shooting dead two police officers to escape being caught for illegal game hunting during a routine traffic check.

German jailed for life in double police murder

The regional court in Kaiserslautern found 39-year-old Andreas Schmitt guilty of the killings in January this year, which sent shockwaves across Germany.

His co-defendant, referred to by the court as Florian V., was found guilty of abetting illegal poaching.

The 33-year-old was in the car with Schmitt when the officers discovered dead game in the boot, investigators said.

“We are all to this day horrified that a supposed routine control could turn into a fatal incident,” Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said in a statement after the verdict.

READ ALSO: German prosecutors say poaching led to double police murder

The victims were a 24-year-old woman police officer still in training and her colleague, a 29-year-old man.

The young woman was killed by a single shot to the head, while the man was shot four times, investigators said.

The officers were able to report that they were checking a suspicious vehicle and that shots were being fired before radio contact broke off.

When backup arrived, the woman was already dead and the man fatally injured. The perpetrators had fled the scene.

The crime in the Kusel district of Rhineland-Palatinate state triggered a major manhunt, with police deploying helicopters and sniffer dogs, sealing off roads and warning local residents not to pick up hitchhikers.