SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Police hunt man who shot teen daughter

An armed man is on the run in Germany a day after shooting his 13-year-old daughter to death in broad daylight on the street – reportedly in front of the rest of their family.

Police hunt man who shot teen daughter
Photo: DPA

Police hunting the man said he shot the girl up to six times, hitting her in the head at least once after a family mediation session with youth authorities on Monday afternoon in Stolzenau, Lower Saxony.

The girl had moved out of home due to problems within the family and was living at a state children’s home – something her father apparently wanted to reverse. Yet at the meeting with mediators, she refused to go home, police said.

He shot her shortly after the family left the office, leaving her slumped against a car in the street as he ran off.

“We wanted to initiate a conversation with the parents, in order to develop a perspective for the future,” Torsten Rötschke from the social services told Der Spiegel magazine’s website.

“There was absolutely no indication that it could come to such an escalation,” he said. “We are appalled by the incident and will now make efforts to prevent similar cases in the future.”

He said three other children still lived with the girl’s parents.

Police continued their hunt for the man on Tuesday morning using a helicopter and dogs, with a particular focus on trying to find the gun he used, which detectives say he may have thrown away. They also said he may be driving a grey VW Golf car.

An autopsy on the girl’s body was scheduled for Tuesday in Hamburg, while police have launched a murder investigation.

The family is said to have moved to Lower Saxony in 2008, from Iraq’s Kurdish region. They are said to be of the Yazidi faith – which combines elements of several faiths, including Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

The Local/DAPD/DPA/mdm

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS