Vodka laced with methanol sold by mistake
The Local · 22 Nov 2011, 11:19
Published: 22 Nov 2011 11:19 GMT+01:00
The state’s consumer protection office announced Monday that they were extending a warning on “Vodka V 24 Original,” “Vodka AntiVirus” and “Premium Vodka Cosmos” after laboratory tests found that the drinks contained methanol, a highly dangerous type of alcohol that can cause blindness and even death if over-consumed.
The authority’s investigations found the contaminated drinks may have been sold in six German states: Thuringia, North Rhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatinate, Lower Saxony, Berlin and Bavaria. The three drinks have now been banned from further sale.
Local authorities have been informed of the contamination and are taking the products from shelves. The distillery in Thuringia has been shut down.