SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Alleged Islamists released, no threat found

German authorities released four alleged Islamists on Sunday, the day after police arrested them on suspicion of illegally obtaining weapons ahead of a major reunification ceremony in Bonn.

Alleged Islamists released, no threat found
Photo: DPA

Three of the men, all in their 20s, were allowed to go on Sunday evening, hours after the fourth was freed.

All four must remain available for any further police enquiries.

The men were seized Saturday night and their apartments searched, said police in Cologne, near Bonn where the festivities on Monday to commemorate German reunification were due to be attended by Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The four were active in Islamist circles, according to authorities.

Police said Sunday that “no arms or other dangerous objects,” had been uncovered during searches, and that there was no apparent threat which required their further detention ahead of the celebrations to mark the 1990 reunification of East and West Germany.

“There is no proof nor links between the accused and terrorist groups nor concrete preparation for an attack,” said a spokesman for the federal prosecutor in the southwestern Karlsruhe district.

Following the arrests on Saturday the police had said in a statement that the four were arrested “as it could not be excluded that a crime was being prepared.”

Alongside Merkel, Germany’s President Christian Wulff and other notable dignitaries are due to attend Monday’s ceremony.

AFP/mdm

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

CRIME

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

A German court on Tuesday handed a five-year jail sentence to a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard, the oldest person so far to go on trial for complicity in war crimes during the Holocaust.

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

Josef S. was found guilty of being an accessory to murder while working as a prison guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945, presiding judge Udo Lechtermann said.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, had pleaded innocent, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said at the close of his trial on Monday.

But prosecutors said he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the camp and called for him to be punished with five years behind bars.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

More than 200,000 people, including Jews, Roma, regime opponents and gay people, were detained at the Sachsenhausen camp between 1936 and 1945.

Tens of thousands of inmates died from forced labour, murder, medical experiments, hunger or disease before the camp was liberated by Soviet troops, according to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum.

Prosecutors said the man had aided and abetted the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and the murder of prisoners “using the poisonous gas Zyklon B”.

He was 21 years old at the time.

Contradictory statements

During the trial, S. made several inconsistent statements about his past, complaining that his head was getting “mixed up”.

At one point, the centenarian said he had worked as an agricultural labourer in Germany for most of World War II, a claim contradicted by several historical documents bearing his name, date and place of birth.

After the war, the man was transferred to a prison camp in Russia before returning to Germany, where he worked as a farmer and a locksmith.

He remained at liberty during the trial, which began in 2021 but has been delayed several times because of his health.

Despite his conviction, he is highly unlikely to be put behind bars, given his age.

His lawyer Stefan Waterkamp told AFP ahead of the verdict that if found guilty, he would appeal.

More than seven decades after World War II, German prosecutors are racing to bring the last surviving Nazi perpetrators to justice.

The 2011 conviction of former guard John Demjanjuk, on the basis that he served as part of Hitler’s killing machine, set a legal precedent and paved the way for several of these twilight justice cases.

Since then, courts have handed down several guilty verdicts on those grounds rather than for murders or atrocities directly linked to the individual accused.

By David COURBET

SHOW COMMENTS