• Germany's news in English

Only half of Germans want tax cuts

The Local · 8 Jul 2011, 08:25

Published: 08 Jul 2011 08:25 GMT+02:00

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Some 57 percent of voters polled by Infratest Dimap for broadcaster ARD and daily Die Welt thought Schäuble was doing a good or very good job.

Two-thirds of voters believe Germany’s economic situation is either good or very good, yet nearly three-quarters say they have not personally profited from the upswing.

Voters are neatly divided on tax cuts. Asked whether taxes should be cut from January 1, 2013 as the ruling coalition leadership recently announced it intended to do, 48 agreed with the move and 49 percent were against it.

Yet a strong majority wants to reduce the nation’s debt, Die Welt reported. Some 70 percent believed it was more important to reduce the amount of new debt the government was taking on, while 24 percent said tax cuts were a greater priority.

Defence Minister Thomas de Maizière was the second most popular politician on 56 percent approval followed by the Social Democratic Party’s (SPD) former Finance Minister Peer Steinbrück on 54 percent and the party’s parliamentary leader Frank-Walter Steinmeier on 51 percent. Chancellor Angela Merkel sits in fifth place on 49 percent.

The poll also showed that both Steinbrück and Steinmeier would win in head-to-head in direct elections against Merkel.

Voters have a cloudy image of the chancellor right now, the poll finds. Some 85 percent believe she should take greater leadership within the federal government. On the other hand, about 80 percent believe she represents Germany well on the world stage.

Two out of three voters are disappointed with Merkel’s six years in office. They do not know where she stands, the poll shows. Yet 61 percent said they felt that, on the whole, she has done a good job.

Story continues below…

Voters are generally happier with the four years she laboured under the “grand coalition” with her party’s traditional centre-left rivals from 2005 to 2009 than they are with her current coalition with the pro-business Free Democratic Party.

The survey polled 1,000 people on July 4 and 5.

The Local/djw

The Local (news@thelocal.de)

Facebook Twitter Google+ reddit

Your comments about this article

09:53 July 8, 2011 by Englishted
"Two-thirds of voters believe Germany¦#39;s economic situation is either good or very good, yet nearly three-quarters say they have not personally profited from the upswing."

Fooling some of the people all of the time,or all of the people all of the time.

The 25% who have profited are bankers and politicians.
10:10 July 8, 2011 by dbert4
Of yes, Germany needs tax cuts....just look what they did for the US and UK!
11:11 July 8, 2011 by pepsionice
The way this works....some political folks yell tax cuts....folks get excited....and they come to realize it turns out to be $39 a month (30 Euro) and over the whole year, it was enough to buy a new couch or a weekend trip to Amsterdam. For some reason, it does make folks happy...but it's a momentary thing.

I will offer this humble opinion. The objective of every government ought to be providing basic services in support of the citizen and nothing more than that. This would include building bridges, fixing roads, and protecting people (via police and firemen). I would imagine that the German government is spending around eighty percent of its current revenue on such services, and the remainder are very questionable. Tax cuts are necessarily the answer....cutting wasteful government practices that have no impact on the citizen is the answer.
12:18 July 8, 2011 by Carlos Hausner
Of course, not all "voters" are tax payers. I expect 100% of people on state handouts are against tax cuts.
15:13 July 8, 2011 by Englishted
@Carlos Hausner

Why do you think that? not everyone is as greedy and self interested as you assume .

Maybe people who don't want to see services to the most vulnerable in society cut just to make the rich a little richer are against it as well.
16:17 July 8, 2011 by michael4096
@Carlos - not to mention that your implicit assertion that those on handouts expect to stay that way
17:14 July 8, 2011 by jmclewis
dbert4 Tax cuts were not the problem government revune from tax payers went up after tax cuts the problem was spending too much government spending and deregulation.
Today's headlines
Creepy clown scare spreads to Germany
Two of the clowns were apparently equipped with chainsaws. Photo: Pedro Pardo / AFP file picture

Police said Friday five incidents involving so-called scary clowns had occurred in two north German town, including one assailant who hit a man with a baseball bat, amid fears that Halloween could spark a rash of similar attacks.

Student fined for spying on women via their webcams
Photo: DPA

Student from Munich fined €1,000 for spying on 32 different computers, using their webcams to take photographs, or record their keyboard history.

This is how much startup geeks earn in Germany
Photo: DPA

A comprehensive new survey of 143 startup founders shows how much you are likely to be earning at a German startup, from entry level all the way up to sitting on the board.

Man dies after beating for peeing near Freiburg church
The Johannes Church in Freiburg. Photo Jörgens Mi/Wikipedia

A middle-aged man from southern Germany has died after being attacked by a group of men who took umbrage with the fact he was urinating in the vicinity of a church.

The Local List
Seven German celebrities with uncanny doppelgängers
Former Berlin mayor Klaus Wowereit and actor Alec Baldwin. Photo: DPA; Gage Skidmore, Wikimedia Commons

Check out these seven look-a-likes of well known German figures - we admit that some are more tenuous than others...

Israel seeks to buy three new German submarines: report
A Dolphin class submarine. Photo: DPA

Israel is seeking to buy three more advanced submarines from Germany at a combined price of €1.2 billion, an Israeli newspaper reported Friday.

Here’s where people live the longest in Germany
Photo: DPA

Germans down south seem to know the secret to a long life.

More Germans identify as LGBT than in rest of Europe
Photo: DPA

The percentage of the German population which identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender is higher than anywhere else in Europe, according to a new study.

'Reichsbürger' pair attack police in Saxony-Anhalt
File photo: DPA.

A "Reichsbürger" and his wife attacked police officers on Thursday, just a day after another Reichsbürger fatally shot an officer in Bavaria.

Five things not to miss at the Frankfurt Book Fair
Photo: DPA

From consulting a book doctor to immersing yourself in an author's world with the help of virtual reality, here are five things not to miss at this week's Frankfurt Book Fair, the world's largest publishing event.

Sponsored Article
How to vote absentee from abroad in the US elections
10 things you never knew about socialist East Germany
Sponsored Article
Last chance to vote absentee in the US elections
How Germans fell in love with America's favourite squash
How I ditched London for Berlin and became a published author
Sponsored Article
How to vote absentee from abroad in the US elections
12 clever German idioms that'll make you sound like a pro
23 fascinating facts you never knew about Berlin
9 unmissable events to check out in Germany this October
10 things you never knew about German reunification
10 things you're sure to notice after an Oktoberfest visit
Germany's 10 most Instagram-able places
15 pics that prove Germany is absolutely enchanting in autumn
10 German films you have to watch before you die
6 things about Munich that’ll stay with you forever
10 pieces of German slang you'll never learn in class
Ouch! Naked swimmer hospitalized after angler hooks his penis
Six reasons why Berlin is now known as 'the failed city'
15 tell-tale signs you’ll never quite master German
7 American habits that make Germans very, very uncomfortable
Story of a fugitive cow who outwitted police for weeks before capture
Eleven famous Germans with surnames that'll make your sides split
The best ways to get a visa as an American in Germany
jobs available
Toytown Germany
Germany's English-speaking crowd