A device exploded in the Dresden store at around 8 pm, police confirmed on Saturday. Two people, aged 32 and 41 years old, suffered possible inner-ear trauma from the blast but there were no other injuries. The blast also damaged the floor and some of the furniture on display in the kitchen department.
No one has admitted to carrying out the attack and there are so far no indications as to who the culprit might be. It was the latest incident targeting IKEA following similar attacks on stores in Belgium, France and the Netherlands in recent weeks.
“We don’t know if there is a connection,” said Sabine Nold, spokeswoman for IKEA Germany. “We didn’t receive any threats, either at the headquarters or at the affected store.”
She said all branches had been informed of Friday’s incident and had been asked to be “on extra alert.”