Woman shot dead after knifing police officer

A woman was shot dead by a policewoman in Frankfurt on Thursday after she stabbed another officer with a knife following a dispute at a job centre.

Woman shot dead after knifing police officer
Photo: DPA

The authorities said the 39-year-old woman got into an argument with a member of staff in the Rhine-Main Jobcentre’s section for homeless people and those with addiction problems.

When she refused to leave and the argument became increasingly loud, security and then the police were called to get her to go.

After the police officers who arrived on the scene asked for her identity papers, the woman opened her handbag and took out a knife. She then attacked the male officer, injuring him badly in the abdomen and upper arm.

His colleague pulled her gun and shot the woman once in the stomach – she later died of her injuries in hospital. It is not yet known what caused the argument.

“We’re all completely under shock,” said one job centre employee.

The Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper reported that the injured policeman is in a stable condition in hospital while his colleague is said to be shaken by the incident. State criminal police have sealed off the building as a crime scene and are gathering witness statements and potential evidence.

“Today is sad proof that violence against the police is increasing,” said police union leader Jörg Bruchmüller. ”We are confronted daily with such violence (but) the police are not society’s maintenance crew.”

DAPD/DPA/The Local/hc

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


German jailed for life in double police murder

A German man was given a life sentence on Wednesday for shooting dead two police officers to escape being caught for illegal game hunting during a routine traffic check.

German jailed for life in double police murder

The regional court in Kaiserslautern found 39-year-old Andreas Schmitt guilty of the killings in January this year, which sent shockwaves across Germany.

His co-defendant, referred to by the court as Florian V., was found guilty of abetting illegal poaching.

The 33-year-old was in the car with Schmitt when the officers discovered dead game in the boot, investigators said.

“We are all to this day horrified that a supposed routine control could turn into a fatal incident,” Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said in a statement after the verdict.

READ ALSO: German prosecutors say poaching led to double police murder

The victims were a 24-year-old woman police officer still in training and her colleague, a 29-year-old man.

The young woman was killed by a single shot to the head, while the man was shot four times, investigators said.

The officers were able to report that they were checking a suspicious vehicle and that shots were being fired before radio contact broke off.

When backup arrived, the woman was already dead and the man fatally injured. The perpetrators had fled the scene.

The crime in the Kusel district of Rhineland-Palatinate state triggered a major manhunt, with police deploying helicopters and sniffer dogs, sealing off roads and warning local residents not to pick up hitchhikers.