Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

German families still function as important social glue

Share this article

German families still function as important social glue
Photo: DPA
10:24 CEST+02:00
Nearly two thirds of German parents whose children are grown up are regularly visited by their offspring, with nearly half getting help with the house or garden.

A survey conducted by the Allensbach polling firm for the Bild am Sonntag newspaper showed that although 38 percent of people aged between 18 and 49 said they only visited their parents rarely, the other 62 percent said they were frequently at their mum and dad's.

The grandparents are still an important support for young families, with 61 percent of parents saying their own parents were regular babysitters for the kids. Only eight percent said they would rather pay for babysitters.

Of those questioned, 51 percent said they got good advice from their parents, while 43 percent said their parents bought clothes for the children, and 35 percent said their parents put money away for the kids.

The survey also showed that 82 percent believed that if they were in a difficult situation they could count on support from their family, while 67 percent said this would be the case if the problems were financial.

DAPD/hc

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement