SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Women’s boxing champ shot by stepfather

World champion German boxer Rola El-Halabi is unlikely ever to fight again after she was shot repeatedly by her stepfather in her dressing room before a bout on Friday night.

Women's boxing champ shot by stepfather
Photo: DPA

Roy El-Halabi, who was also his stepdaughter’s manager until she sacked him in January, burst into the champ’s dressing room at the Berliner Trabrennbahn and shot her in the right hand, the left knee and both feet, news reports said.

The shooting happened just minutes before Rola El-Halabi was to fight for her third world title. She had sacked her stepfather as her manager in January after the pair fell out over the boxer’s new boyfriend.

She was warming up, her boxing gloves already on, just 10 minutes before her bout against Bosnian Irma Adler, when her stepfather burst into the room. Roy El-Halabi also shot two guards, both of whom are recovering in hospital.

The boxer had five operations over the weekend. Her promoter, Malte Müller-Michaelis told sports news wire SID: “Her operation went smoothly, but the shots were intended to end her career and it seems almost certain that that will happen.”

Rola El-Halabi told daily Bild: “Then Dad stormed in with a pistol, forced everyone out of the room and locked the two of us in. He shot me right away from three metres away in the right hand. It burned like hell and I screamed. But he kept shooting, next in my left foot, and I fell down, twisting my knee.

According to the boxer’s account, her stepfather yelled, “You’ve ruined my life.”

Rola El-Halabi replied, “Dad, calm down. We can talk.”

She continued: “While I was crumpled on the floor, he aimed at my knee, then the other foot. Each shot was like a punch. More and more blood was coming out of my shoes. It made me dizzy.”

Roy El-Halabi then turned himself over to the police at the scene. As he was taken away, he called, “Rola, Rola, please forgive me!”

His stepdaughter shouted back, “I hate you.”

Roy El-Halabi now faces up to 10 years’ jail for causing grievous bodily harm.

Rola El-Halabi was undefeated from 11 fights with six knockouts and has held two world titles in her career. Her bout Friday night was part of a comeback after a break from boxing.

The Local/djw

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS