SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Police raid Hells Angels bikers allegedly planning rival murder

German police staged raids against the Hells Angels motorcycle gang in three states on Monday morning, searching for evidence of plans to murder a rival group member, prosecutors reported.

Police raid Hells Angels bikers allegedly planning rival murder
A Hells Angels member outside the Pforzheim police station. Photo: DPA

More than 900 officers took part in searching 22 apartments and four other buildings in Baden-Württemberg, Rhineland-Palatinate and Bavaria. They had an arrest warrant for at least one Hells Angels member on charges of attempted murder, prosecutors in the Baden-Württemberg town of Pforzheim said.

The raids came in response to a brawl in late November between the Hells Angels and an association of doormen called United Tribuns. At least three gang members were injured during the fight in Pforzheim, with one person sustaining life-threatening wounds. Shots were fired during the clash, after which police arrested more than 20 suspects.

Monday’s raids centred on stemming an alleged revenge attack on leaders of United Tribuns, the prosecutors said.

The actions followed another series of raids last week in the state of Hesse. There police are investigating the alleged collusion of several high-level law enforcement officials with the biker gang.

Apartments and offices belonging to several police officers with contact to the gang were searched, the Hessian state Office of Criminal Investigation (LKA) said.

Among the suspects is one of the LKA’s own chief inspectors, they said. The 50-year-old allegedly gave Hells Angels confidential police information about bribery cases.

Five police officers suspected of involvement were suspended from duty with immediate effect.

The raids were organised as part of a drug dealing investigation against the Hells Angels run by the Frankfurt and Darmstadt state prosecutors’ offices.

They followed November 24 searches that came in response to a Hells Angels holdup of another motorcycle club.

DPA/ka

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS