SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Löw calls Schweinsteiger a World Cup victim

Germany coach Joachim Löw said Tuesday football's top stars have not had enough time to recover from the World Cup and pointed to Bastian Schweinsteiger's ankle injury as an example of the problem.

Löw calls Schweinsteiger a World Cup victim
Photo: DPA

Schweinsteiger will sit out Friday’s Euro 2012 qualifier against Turkey at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium after injuring his ankle in Bayern Munich’s 2-0 Bundesliga defeat last Sunday.

Having helped Germany finish third at the World Cup, Schweinsteiger had just a few weeks between his return from South Africa on July 12 to recover before training started for the new Bundesliga season which kicked off on August 20.

“These things happen after a World Cup,” Löw told daily Bild in reference to Schweinsteiger’s ankle knock.

“The players have only had a short time to prepare for the next season and the risks of getting injury is of course higher. The Spanish also have the same problems with injuries.”

The 26-year-old Schweinsteiger has damaged ankle ligaments and will sit out the next ten days including both Euro 2012 matches against Turkey and Kazakhstan in Astana.

With 83-caps to his name, Schweinsteiger is an important part of Germany’s midfield and his place is likely to go to Bayern team-mate Toni Kroos.

Hamburg defender Marcell Jansen will also miss Germany’s next two Euro 2012 qualifiers, the German Football Federation have said.

On Tuesday morning, Dortmund forward Kevin Grosskreutz, who has one cap to his name, withdrew from the Germany squad suffering from the ‘flu, but may still travel with the team for the game against Kazakhstan on October 12.

Germany are top of Group A, equal on six points with second-placed Turkey, after two games.

AFP/mry

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MUNICH

Four injured as WWII bomb explodes near Munich train station

Four people were injured, one of them seriously, when a World War II bomb exploded at a building site near Munich's main train station on Wednesday, emergency services said.

Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich.
Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Privat

Construction workers had been drilling into the ground when the bomb exploded, a spokesman for the fire department said in a statement.

The blast was heard several kilometres away and scattered debris hundreds of metres, according to local media reports.

Images showed a plume of smoke rising directly next to the train tracks.

Bavaria interior minister Joachim Herrmann told Bild that the whole area was being searched.

Deutsche Bahn suspended its services on the affected lines in the afternoon.

Although trains started up again from 3pm, the rail operator said there would still be delays and cancellations to long-distance and local travel in the Munich area until evening. 

According to the fire service, the explosion happened near a bridge that must be passed by all trains travelling to or from the station.

The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, police said. So far, there are no indications of a criminal act.

WWII bombs are common in Germany

Some 75 years after the war, Germany remains littered with unexploded ordnance, often uncovered during construction work.

READ ALSO: What you need to know about WWII bomb disposals in Germany

However, most bombs are defused by experts before they explode.

Last year, seven World War II bombs were found on the future location of Tesla’s first European factory, just outside Berlin.

Sizeable bombs were also defused in Cologne and Dortmund last year.

In 2017, the discovery of a 1.4-tonne bomb in Frankfurt prompted the evacuation of 65,000 people — the largest such operation since the end of the war in Europe in 1945.

SHOW COMMENTS