SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Rape victim, 12, secretly filmed attack

A 12-year-old girl who was raped repeatedly by her ageing stepfather filmed an attack as evidence using a secret video camera in her room, a North Rhine-Westphalia court heard this week.

Rape victim, 12, secretly filmed attack
Photo: DPA

Cologne daily Express reported on Wednesday that the girl from the Rhineland city of Mülheim installed a concealed video camera in her room after she had already been raped at least 17 times over several years.

Her stepfather, 70-year-old Greek Georgios A., denied the allegations, the paper reported.

“I have never seduced her, rather her me, I swear it,” he said through a Greek-German interpreter. “She must have put something in my drink. I don’t remember anything.”

The state prosecutor accuses the man of seriously sexually assaulting the girl, who is now 13, at least 17 times between 2006 and May 2010.

“I want you. We’ll do it now, my girl,” the man is alleged to have said before each attack.

The man also tied the girl up and threatened to kill her, prosecutors say.

The girl hatched her plan in May, hiding the camera in her room. When her stepfather raped her, the attack was recorded.

“You can clearly recognize in the images who is the perpetrator and who is the victim here,” judge Christoph Kaufmann said, according to the paper.

The girl showed the pictures to her teacher and her stepfather was promptly arrested. Because he continued to deny the charges, the victim had to testify for several hours on Tuesday, during which she clung to a teddy bear.

The girl now lives in a foster home and is “traumatised,” the paper said. Her mother moved to another country after the case became public knowledge.

The court is expected to rule on the case on October 8.

The Local/dw

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS