Several killed in hospital shooting in Lörrach

Four people died and a police officer was seriously wounded on Sunday after an explosion and a shootout that ended at a hospital in the southwestern German town of Lörrach.

Several killed in hospital shooting in Lörrach
Photo: DPA

The police said the woman responsible for the massacre had also been killed.

“The situation is now under control,” said a police spokesman.

The shooting started at 6:00 pm (1600 GMT) at Saint Elizabeth hospital in the centre of Lörrach, which lies in Baden-Württemberg near Germany’s borders with France and Switzerland.

One police officer, who happened to be in the hospital as the woman began shooting, suffered life-threatening injuries. She also attacked the officers arriving on the scene before she was shot and killed.


The authorities believe the shooter left a nearby apartment house where there was an explosion shortly before the massacre. A dead adult and child were later found in the building.

“At around 1600 GMT, firefighters were called out to an explosion at an apartment in a street near the hospital,” the spokesman told news agency AFP.

“Soon afterwards, firefighters found two bodies in the apartment.”

The incident comes only days after the manslaughter trial opened in Stuttgart Thursday of the father of Tim Kretschmer, the teenager who shot dead 15 people before killing himself at his old school in Baden-Württemberg in March 2009.

Jörg Kretschmer, a 51-year-old businessman, is accused of having violated gun laws because his 17-year-old son was able to take his 9mm Beretta pistol from his bedside to use in the shootings in the town of Winnenden.

AFP/DPA/The Local/mry

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

A 50-year-old German man was jailed for life Tuesday for shooting dead a petrol station cashier because he was angry about being told to wear a mask while buying beer.

German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

The September 2021 murder in the western town of Idar-Oberstein shocked Germany, which saw a vocal anti-mask and anti-vaccine movement emerge in response to the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

The row started when 20-year-old student worker Alex W. asked the man to put on a mask inside the shop, as required in all German stores at the time.

After a brief argument, the man left.

The perpetrator – identified only as Mario N. – returned about an hour and a half later, this time wearing a mask. But as he bought his six-pack of beer to the till, he took off his mask and another argument ensued.

He then pulled out a revolver and shot the cashier in the head point-blank.

On Tuesday, the district court in Bad-Kreuznach convicted Mario N. of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm, and handed him a life sentence.

READ ALSO: Shock in Germany after cashier shot dead in Covid mask row

Under German law, people given a life sentence can usually seek parole after 15 years. His defence team had sought a sentence of manslaughter, rather than murder.

At the start of the trial, prosecutor Nicole Frohn told how Mario N. had felt increasingly angry about the measures imposed to curb the pandemic, seeing them as an infringement on his rights.

“Since he knew he couldn’t reach the politicians responsible, he decided to kill him (Alex W.),” she said.

Mario N. turned himself in to police the day after the shooting.

German has relaxed most of its coronavirus rules, although masks are still required in some settings, such as public transport.