SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

10-man Kaiserslautern squad stuns Bayern

Bayern Munich coach Louis van Gaal admitted his side's finishing let them down as they suffered a shock 2-0 defeat on Friday at Bundesliga new boys Kaiserslautern, who finished with 10 men.

10-man Kaiserslautern squad stuns Bayern
Photo: DPA

Defending champions Bayern were beaten in only their second German league game of the season and were punished for a lethargic first-half performance.

Thomas Müller wasted a golden chance to put his side ahead when Bastian Schweinsteiger’s final pass put him one-on-one with Kaiserslautern goalkeeper Tobias Sippel on 24 minutes, but he fired just wide.

“We played a good game right up until the last pass,” said van Gaal. “The first chance of a goal should have been scored by Müller as we were three against one, he should have looked up.”

“Kaiserslautern played well and were compact, they played with much passion,” he said. “Their first goal was like something you see in Sunday park football.”

Having won the second division title last season, Kaiserslautern beat Cologne last weekend and have now claimed Bayern’s scalp thanks to goals from Ivo Ilicevic and Srdjan Lakic, who has now scored three in two games.

Bayern were floored by Kaiserslautern scoring their goals in less than two minutes with Ilicevic playing a huge part in both.

The first came when defender Florian Dick got the better of Franck Ribery and knocked in a cross which striker Adam Nemec left for Ilicevic to fire past Bayern goalkeeper Hans-Jörg Butt on 36 minutes.

Seconds later, the Croatian supplied the final pass which split the Munich defence and allowed Lakic to slot past Butt for his third Bundesliga goal in two games after his pair against Cologne.

In injury time, striker Ilicevic was sent off for a second yellow card, but it did little to spoil Kaiserslautern’s party.

“We wanted to stand up to Bayern,” said Ilicevic. “We implemented the game plan well and deserved to win. We made life difficult for Bayern.”

Champions League finalists Bayern were made to look pedestrian at Kaiserslautern’s notorious Betzenberg stadium.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MUNICH

Four injured as WWII bomb explodes near Munich train station

Four people were injured, one of them seriously, when a World War II bomb exploded at a building site near Munich's main train station on Wednesday, emergency services said.

Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich.
Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Privat

Construction workers had been drilling into the ground when the bomb exploded, a spokesman for the fire department said in a statement.

The blast was heard several kilometres away and scattered debris hundreds of metres, according to local media reports.

Images showed a plume of smoke rising directly next to the train tracks.

Bavaria interior minister Joachim Herrmann told Bild that the whole area was being searched.

Deutsche Bahn suspended its services on the affected lines in the afternoon.

Although trains started up again from 3pm, the rail operator said there would still be delays and cancellations to long-distance and local travel in the Munich area until evening. 

According to the fire service, the explosion happened near a bridge that must be passed by all trains travelling to or from the station.

The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, police said. So far, there are no indications of a criminal act.

WWII bombs are common in Germany

Some 75 years after the war, Germany remains littered with unexploded ordnance, often uncovered during construction work.

READ ALSO: What you need to know about WWII bomb disposals in Germany

However, most bombs are defused by experts before they explode.

Last year, seven World War II bombs were found on the future location of Tesla’s first European factory, just outside Berlin.

Sizeable bombs were also defused in Cologne and Dortmund last year.

In 2017, the discovery of a 1.4-tonne bomb in Frankfurt prompted the evacuation of 65,000 people — the largest such operation since the end of the war in Europe in 1945.

SHOW COMMENTS