Advertisement

Court approves neo-Nazi march, but bans counter demonstration

Share this article

Court approves neo-Nazi march, but bans counter demonstration
Neo-Nazis at last year's Bad Nenndorf march. Photo: DPA
08:13 CEST+02:00
A Hannover court has approved a neo-Nazi march in the Lower Saxony spa town of Bad Nenndorf this weekend, but declined to authorise a counter-demonstration by left-wing protestors because they allegedly pose a greater danger and the neo-Nazis registered first.

The administrative court confirmed its decision on Thursday to exclude the Confederation of German Trade Unions (DGB), overturning a previous ruling by a Schaumburg district court, which had said there were not enough police there to handle both sides at the same time. But the Hannover court said the some 2,000 officers could at least handle one demonstration.

Because the neo-Nazis registered for permission first, and officials expect violence-prone anarchists to be attracted to the counter demonstration, the far-right extremists will be allowed to march unopposed, the court said.

The DGB called the decision an “unbelievable ruling” and said it would appeal to the state of Lower Saxony's top administrative court.

Right-wing extremists have come to Bad Nenndorf since 2006 to stage a "funeral march" in honour of Nazis they say were mishandled there between 1945 and 1947 at an interrogation centre by occupying British troops.

Share this article

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
8,578 Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement