SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

German teenager raped on Turkish beach

A 17-year-old girl German girl has allegedly been raped on a beach by six men while on holiday in Turkey.

German teenager raped on Turkish beach
Photo: DPA

The girl, from the northern state of Schleswig-Holstein, was apparently sexually assaulted in the coastal city of Side, the German Foreign Ministry confirmed Thursday.

Two men, named by daily Bild as Ali Recep, 33, and Murat Eraslan, 31, have been remanded in custody and four others have been released on bail pending trial.

They face jail terms of up to 15 years.

Bild reported that the attack took place at 3:30 am Wednesday morning and that the young woman had a blood alcohol level of 0.198 percent (or 1.98 promille).

The Foreign Ministry spokesman declined to give further details, however, saying Germany wanted first to wait for the outcome of the investigation by Turkish authorities.

The girl was on holiday with her mother at the historic coastal city of Side, about 80 kilometres from Antalya. She is now back in Germany.

Her attackers were reportedly construction workers at a nearby mosque.

The investigation reportedly hinges on surveillance videos. Turkish media have reported that the girl had been alone on a beach following a party. She was initially attacked by two men, who were later joined by the other four.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS