SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Ribery signs to remain with Bayern Munich until 2015

Bayern Munich playmaker Franck Ribery has extended his contract with the German champions until 2015, the club announced on Sunday.

Ribery signs to remain with Bayern Munich until 2015
Photo: DPA

The signing took place in Madrid after the Champions League final Bayern lost 2-0 to Inter Milan on Saturday.

“We are very happy to have reached agreement on a contract extension with one of the world’s best players,” said Bayern president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

“It’s also a sign of Bayern Munich’s grand designs for the years to come.”

France international Ribery, now set to join up with his French teammates ahead of the World Cup finals, said he too was “very happy.”

“My family and I are very happy to stay in Munich. The club has become one big family for me,” said Ribery, who arrived in Germany from Marseille in 2007 and was under contract until 2011.

Bayern began the season warding off the attentions of European giants like Real Madrid, who were looking to sign Ribery.

The 27-year-old then suffered a series of injuries that scuppered his season, and last month he hit the headlines after being implicated in a scandal involving an underage escort girl.

The affair reportedly turned Real Madrid off Ribery’s scent. On-field frustrations, in the shape of a three-game UEFA ban for a nasty tackle during the Champions League semi-final against Lyon – which kept Ribery out of Saturday’s final against Inter Milan – soon followed.

Ribery had said he wanted to sort his club future out before the World Cup in which France are drawn in Group A alongside hosts South Africa, Uruguay and Mexico.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MUNICH

Four injured as WWII bomb explodes near Munich train station

Four people were injured, one of them seriously, when a World War II bomb exploded at a building site near Munich's main train station on Wednesday, emergency services said.

Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich.
Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Privat

Construction workers had been drilling into the ground when the bomb exploded, a spokesman for the fire department said in a statement.

The blast was heard several kilometres away and scattered debris hundreds of metres, according to local media reports.

Images showed a plume of smoke rising directly next to the train tracks.

Bavaria interior minister Joachim Herrmann told Bild that the whole area was being searched.

Deutsche Bahn suspended its services on the affected lines in the afternoon.

Although trains started up again from 3pm, the rail operator said there would still be delays and cancellations to long-distance and local travel in the Munich area until evening. 

According to the fire service, the explosion happened near a bridge that must be passed by all trains travelling to or from the station.

The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, police said. So far, there are no indications of a criminal act.

WWII bombs are common in Germany

Some 75 years after the war, Germany remains littered with unexploded ordnance, often uncovered during construction work.

READ ALSO: What you need to know about WWII bomb disposals in Germany

However, most bombs are defused by experts before they explode.

Last year, seven World War II bombs were found on the future location of Tesla’s first European factory, just outside Berlin.

Sizeable bombs were also defused in Cologne and Dortmund last year.

In 2017, the discovery of a 1.4-tonne bomb in Frankfurt prompted the evacuation of 65,000 people — the largest such operation since the end of the war in Europe in 1945.

SHOW COMMENTS