SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Ballack lawyer targets Boateng

A lawyer for Chelsea star Michael Ballack said he intends lodging a complaint against Portsmouth's Kevin-Prince Boateng for the "intentional" tackle which ended the Germany captain's World Cup hopes.

Ballack lawyer targets Boateng
Photo: DPA

Ballack was ruled out of the 2010 World Cup finals Monday after a scan revealed torn ligaments in his ankle following a heavy tackle by Germany-born Ghanaian Boateng during Sunday’s FA Cup final win.

The 33-year-old German will be sidelined for eight weeks, thus ending his hopes of playing what was likely to have been his last World Cup campaign in South Africa. Ironically, Ghana are in Germany’s Group D at the World Cup.

For the German’s lawyer, Michael Becker, Boateng set out to injure Ballack intentionally.

“To me, what Boateng did was not simply an insidious tackle but was designed to intentionally injure,” Becker said. “We are now looking into all of our legal options, which could lead to both civil and penal consequences.”

Ballack’s injury and subsequent absence from the June 11-July 11 finals caused uproar in Germany, although Boateng said Monday he did not set out to injure Ballack.

“I was late and I tackled him head on, it was really stupid. I apologised to him twice on the pitch, and now this makes it three times,” he said. “I am really sorry, but there was no ill-intention meant.”

Ballack meanwhile indicated he wanted to forget the whole incident.

Speaking from his team’s training camp in Sicily, to which he travelled despite his injury, Ballack said: “Obviously I’m still very angry and disappointed, but there’s no point in going out to make things worse.”

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

COURTS

Woman on trial over killing spree at Potsdam care home

The trial began on Tuesday of a woman accused of stabbing four residents to death and severely injuring another at a German care home for disabled people where she worked outside Berlin.

Tributes laid where four people were killed at a care home in Potsdam.
Tributes laid where four people were killed at a care home in Potsdam. Photo: picture alliance/dpa/dpa-Zentralbild | Soeren Stache

Named as Ines Andrea R., the 52-year-old suspect is charged with four counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder following the bloodbath at the Thusnelda-von-Saldern-Haus facility in Potsdam, Brandenburg, in April.

The victims, two women and two men aged between 31 and 56, were found dead in their rooms after being stabbed with a knife, with police saying they had been subjected to “intense, extreme violence”.

Ines Andrea R. is also accused of trying to kill two further residents and of seriously injuring another, a woman aged 43.

She was detained immediately after the incident and placed in urgent psychiatric care due to what prosecutors described as “pertinent evidence” of severe mental illness.

Around 100 police officers were involved in recovering evidence at the scene.

READ ALSO: Women in custody over killings at Potsdam disabled home

The Thusnelda-von-Saldern-Haus, run by the Lutheran Church’s social welfare service, specialises in helping those with physical and mental disabilities, including blind, deaf and severely autistic patients.

It offers live-in care as well as schools and workshops.

Around 65 people live at the residence, which employs more than 80 people.

Germany has seen a number of high-profile murder cases from care facilities.

In the most prominent trial, nurse Niels Högel was sentenced in 2019 to life in prison for murdering 85 patients in his care.

READ ALSO: Missed chances: How Germany’s killer nurse got away with 85 murders

Högel, believed to be Germany’s most prolific serial killer, murdered patients with lethal injections between 2000 and 2005, before he was eventually caught in the act.

Last year, a Polish healthcare worker was sentenced to life in prison in Munich for killing at least three people with insulin.

SHOW COMMENTS