SHARE
COPY LINK

SKIING

Neureuther takes World Cup slalom victory to banish bad run of luck

Felix Neureuther has chalked up the second slalom world cup victory of his career at his home of Garmisch-Patenkirchen on Saturday – the same spot where his father took the title 36 years ago.

Neureuther takes World Cup slalom victory to banish bad run of luck
Photo: DPA

Neureuther beat Austrian Manfred Pranger into second place and Swede Andre Myhrer into third on Saturday.

Yet despite Neureuther’s slalom victory, the complicated nature of skiing World Cup titles means that Austria’s Reinfried Herbst took the World Cup slalom title and Switzerland’s Carlo Janka took the overall 2010 World Cup title after winning the men’s giant slalom on Friday.

Neureuther’s final time over the race’s two legs was 1min 43.63 sec, with Pranger 0.29 sec, and Myhrer 0.35 sec behind him.

“I simply felt really good today,” Neureuther said.

This is a huge turnaround for the 25-year-old who failed to perform well at the Olympics and had considered giving up his slalom career.

He said, “There was much which did not go as I had imagined. It is fabulous to be compensated for that like this. At first one does not want to believe in it, but then it went like a dream.”

His father Christian was there to see his son win at the same spot as he had in 1974. He told ZDF television, “That is a very special family story.”

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

ACCIDENT

German tourists among 13 dead in Italy cable car accident

Thirteen people, including German tourists, have been killed after a cable car disconnected and fell near the summit of the Mottarone mountain near Lake Maggiore in northern Italy.

German tourists among 13 dead in Italy cable car accident
The local emergency services published this photograph of the wreckage. Photo: Vigili del Fuoco

The accident was announced by Italy’s national fire and rescue service, Vigili del Fuoco, at 13.50 on Sunday, with the agency saying over Twitter that a helicopter from the nearby town of Varese was on the scene. 

Italy’s National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps confirmed that there were 13 victims and two seriously injured people.

Italian daily Corriere della Sera reported that German tourists were among the 13 victims.

According to their report, there were 15 passengers inside the car — which can hold 35 people — at the time a cable snapped, sending it tumbling into the forest below. Two seriously injured children, aged nine and five, were airlifted to hospital in Turin. 

The cable car takes tourists and locals from Stresa, a resort town on Lake Maggiore up to a panoramic peak on the Mottarone mountain, reaching some 1,500m above sea level. 

According to the newspaper, the car had been on its way from the lake to the mountain when the accident happened, with rescue operations complicated by the remote forest location where the car landed. 

The cable car had reopened on April 24th after the end of the second lockdown, and had undergone extensive renovations and refurbishments in 2016, which involved the cable undergoing magnetic particle inspection (MPI) to search for any defects. 

Prime Minister Mario Draghi said on Twitter that he expressed his “condolences to the families of the victims, with special thoughts for the seriously injured children and their families”.

Infrastructure Minister Enrico Giovannini told Italy’s Tg1 a commission of inquiry would be established, according to Corriere della Sera: “Our thoughts go out to those involved. The Ministry has initiated procedures to set up a commission and initiate checks on the controls carried out on the infrastructure.”

“Tomorrow morning I will be in Stresa on Lake Maggiore to meet the prefect and other authorities to decide what to do,” he said.

SHOW COMMENTS