Advertisement

Daimler: Sindelfingen jobs safe until 2020

AFP
AFP - [email protected]
Daimler: Sindelfingen jobs safe until 2020
Photo: DPA

German luxury car maker Daimler has told 37,000 workers in Sindelfingen, Baden-Württemberg that their jobs are safe until 2020 and that the group will create about 2,000 new ones.

Advertisement

An accord reached with workers' representatives rules out firings for economic reasons at the Mercedes-Benz site outside of Stuttgart for the next 10 years, a Daimler statement said.

Earlier this month, Daimler decided to shift production of its new C-Class cars to northern Bremen and to plants in the US state of Alabama, China and South Africa from 2014 to lessen negative foreign exchange effects on profits.

Sindelfingen is to continue making more expensive Mercedes' E- and S-Class models, along with the SL sport coupes and hybrid motors, Daimler said. The move "is the best way to conserve sustainable jobs in Germany," Daimler boss Dieter Zetsche explained.

The group has been hit by a slump in the market for premium automobiles and

drew up a cost-cutting plan aimed at saving €4 billion, an amount that will likely be surpassed before the end of 2009.

Workers at Daimler and some parts suppliers were angered by the decision and staged several protests to express their views.

On Thursday, the head of Daimler's works committee, Erich Klemm, said: "We are happy that despite the decision, which is a poor one in our opinion, jobs have been guaranteed for such a long period."

More

Comments

Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

See Also