SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Banned footie fan takes complaint to top court

Germany's Constitutional Court is set to consider the complaint of a football fan who was banned from all stadiums in the country on the basis of suspicion that he was likely to be violent.

Banned footie fan takes complaint to top court
Photo: DPA

Der Spiegel magazine reported that Stuttgart-based lawyer Rüdiger Zuck, who represents the FC Bayern Munich fan, is to take the case to the highest court in the country.

The fan was banned from visiting any football match from the regional league upwards for two years, purely on the assumption that be would be violent.

An appeal against the decision, arguing it was unfair, was rejected by a federal court, leaving the Constitutional Court as the last place to try to overturn the ban.

The man concerned was 16 years old when he was among around 60 fans held by police after rioting during a Bundesliga match between FC Bayern Munich and Duisburg.

He has always insisted he was only watching the rioting from afar, and there was never evidence of him having taken part in the violence and an investigation was dropped.

Despite this, MSV Duisburg issued the ban, which was supported by the court on the basis that he belonged to the group of fans considered ready to use violence.

This was considered to justify the assumption that he was moving in an environment which tended towards violence and that it could be expected that he would be involved in violent acts.

Zuck’s appeal to the Constitutional Court is being supported by the Fanrechtefonds, a football fan organisation which campaigns for supporters’ rights.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

MUNICH

Four injured as WWII bomb explodes near Munich train station

Four people were injured, one of them seriously, when a World War II bomb exploded at a building site near Munich's main train station on Wednesday, emergency services said.

Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich.
Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Privat

Construction workers had been drilling into the ground when the bomb exploded, a spokesman for the fire department said in a statement.

The blast was heard several kilometres away and scattered debris hundreds of metres, according to local media reports.

Images showed a plume of smoke rising directly next to the train tracks.

Bavaria interior minister Joachim Herrmann told Bild that the whole area was being searched.

Deutsche Bahn suspended its services on the affected lines in the afternoon.

Although trains started up again from 3pm, the rail operator said there would still be delays and cancellations to long-distance and local travel in the Munich area until evening. 

According to the fire service, the explosion happened near a bridge that must be passed by all trains travelling to or from the station.

The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, police said. So far, there are no indications of a criminal act.

WWII bombs are common in Germany

Some 75 years after the war, Germany remains littered with unexploded ordnance, often uncovered during construction work.

READ ALSO: What you need to know about WWII bomb disposals in Germany

However, most bombs are defused by experts before they explode.

Last year, seven World War II bombs were found on the future location of Tesla’s first European factory, just outside Berlin.

Sizeable bombs were also defused in Cologne and Dortmund last year.

In 2017, the discovery of a 1.4-tonne bomb in Frankfurt prompted the evacuation of 65,000 people — the largest such operation since the end of the war in Europe in 1945.

SHOW COMMENTS