SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Two teens arrested for beating man to death

Two German teenagers arrested after beating a 50-year-old man to death at a regional express train station in Munich are likely to be charged with attempted murder and could face long jail sentences, police said on Sunday.

Two teens arrested for beating man to death
Photo:DPA

Police said that the 17- and 18-year-olds had been threatening and demanding money from a group of four younger teenagers travelling on a train when the 50-year-old Munich businessman intervened.

He called police on his mobile phone and offered to leave the train with the children to make sure they were safe.

As they left the train at the Solln train station, the older teenagers followed and set upon the man.

Public prosecutor Larent Lafleur said in a press conference on Sunday the attack was an act of revenge and was morally at the lowest level.

The accused teenagers deliberately kicked the man in the fact, he said.

The man was left for dead, and the emergency services were called to the scene but doctors were unable to save the man’s life and he died onSaturday evening in the hospital from severe head injuries.

The teenagers are both said to be without work or training positions, and are both said to have criminal records for a number of offences.

They had run off after the attack but were arrested shortly afterwards.

Bavarian state interior minister Joachim Herrmann said, “I am appalled at this latest case of senseless and brutal violence.” He said it was a, “shocking example of the worrying increase in youth crime.”

Several brutal attacks have taken place in the past on Munich’s transportation system, including one which provoked a national debate on toughening the fight against juvenile delinquency.

The case in 2007 involved a 76-year-old pensioner who was beaten up by some youths at a Munich metro station after he asked them to put out their cigarettes. His two attackers were sentenced to long prison terms in July 2008.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS