Having added Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka to their ranks this summer, Real president Florentino Perez is reportedly set to spend again according to Spanish sports daily AS, who gave no source for its information.
After meeting club advisors Zinedine Zidane and Jorge Valdano, Perez is ready to “battle” for Ribery’s signature, AS claimed, as Real bid to add another top name following the €93 million capture of Ronaldo from Manchester United and Kaka from AC Milan for €65 million.
Valdano says Bayern are chasing “an astronomic sum” for midfield star Ribery and Munich president Franz Beckenbauer was quoted in German magazine Sport Bild as saying a transfer could be envisaged “if he really wants to leave.”
“We all agree – if he really wants to leave we will deal with that problem,” added Beckenbauer.
Sport Bild headlined with the words “The Frenchman can go,” but on Wednesday the German giants issued a statement again rejecting the article and again insisting Ribery is not for sale.
“There was and never has been a resolution by Bayern Munich’s supervisory board about the sale of Franck Ribery,” said the statement. “There is only a unanimous resolution from Bayern’s executive committee that the player Franck Ribery is not for sale.”
After the signings of Ronaldo and Kaka, a return to the hedonistic days of the “Galacticos” – when Perez was also in charge – is now a possibility as the Spaniards look to buy up the world’s top stars.
Under Perez’s first presidency, which lasted between 2001 and 2006, Real recruited the likes of David Beckham, Luis Figo, Ronaldo and Zidane. And according to Valdano, Real, who were overshadowed last year by Liga and Champions League winners Barcelona, “need another four or five players” if they are to overhaul their rivals and think of capturing a tenth European crown.