SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Tokio Hotel twin attacks fan

One of the twin stars of German rock band Tokio Hotel, 19-year-old Tom Kaulitz, “flipped out” at a gas station, punching a female fan in the face after throwing a lit cigarette at her, daily Bild reported on Friday.

Tokio Hotel twin attacks fan
Photo: DPA

While Tom’s twin brother and band lead singer Bill is known for being “especially nice” to his fans, Tom was caught on the Hamburg petrol station’s surveillance cameras behaving badly, the paper said.

At 11:12 pm, a 21-year-old woman recognised Tom and snapped a picture of him, which caused him to throw a lit cigarette at her and spring from his Audi R8. He then hit her in the face before throwing her to the ground.

Tom also tossed another woman against the rear end of his car before getting back into his vehicle and leaving the scene.

One of the women alerted police and filed a report, after which she was taken to a nearby hospital for an eye and ear injury.

The paper reported that the two girls were fans who had followed Tom from his recording studio trying to get an autograph.

Police have begun an investigation against the pop star for bodily harm.

“He will have the opportunity to explain what happend,” Hamburg police spokesperson Ralf Kunz told the paper.

Both Tom and his management were unavailable for comment.

Tokio Hotel released their first album “Schrei” (Scream) in May 2006 and sold some 600,000 copies in six days in Germany. The Magdeburg-based teen group – Bill, his twin brother Tom, Georg and Gustav – also quickly became a major success in France, Austria and Switzerland. The band’s first US single was released in late 2007.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS