Two teens declared dead after boozy Turkish class trip
The Local · 6 Apr 2009, 09:07
Published: 06 Apr 2009 09:07 GMT+02:00
The 17-year-old and 19-year-old boys were among six students who were hospitalised for alcohol poisoning in Turkey during a class trip to Kemer.
One of the young men, a 21-year-old, died of apparent methanol poisoning in his Turkey hotel room and was buried on Friday in Lübeck, while the others were flown back to Germany on Thursday. They two young men sustained irreversable brain damage and were in a coma for nine days before they died.
Turkish investigators said that the 21-year-old was in his bed for some 20 hours before someone found that he was ill, weekly Der Speigel reported, adding that the young man’s parents have asked police to determine his exact time of death.
The teacher leading the school trip was apparently in possession of a master key for all of the students’ hotel rooms. But Turkish police have yet to question the man because he left the country the day after the incident.
“It needs to be explained if third parties have responsibility in this,” one of the boy’s lawyers told the magazine.
Authorities are investigating who bought the alcohol that lead to the accident, and whether the vodka they drank was contaminated.
Dozens of people have died from drinking contaminated alcohol in Turkey in the last several years, news agency AFP reported.