SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Mannichl says he’s the victim of media ‘hate campaign’

Passau police chief Alois Mannichl, victim of an alleged neo-Nazi stabbing last year, on Thursday accused the German media of turning him into a suspect after his assailant escaped capture.

Mannichl says he's the victim of media 'hate campaign'
Photo: DPA

Media reports have speculated that investigators found discrepancies in 52-year-old Mannichl’s claim that he was stabbed by a neo-Nazi in mid-December, reporting that leads point to a domestic dispute instead.

But Mannichl, back on the job after his hospitalisation, told the daily Passauer Neue Presse that the reports – and anonymous tips from investigators to tabloid newspapers – were an attack on him and his family.

If a review of the investigation “reveals that grave mistakes were made, then I hope that someone says, ‘We’re sorry, we shouldn’t remain silent and put these mistakes on the back of the victim,’” Mannichl told the paper.

He also criticised the public prosecutor’s office for speaking of “oddities” in the case early in the investigation, but failing to substantiate them.

Mannichl, who is known for being tough on neo-Nazi activities in his Bavarian city, also said that he and his family still hadn’t returned to their normal lives since the stabbing.

“I still fear that I’m not out of the shooting range,“ he said, adding that his family lives with the fear that “the criminal will come again.“

Mannichl was hospitalised until just before Christmas with critical injuries after he said he was stabbed on his front porch by a skinhead on December 13. He said that the man said something along the lines of, “Greetings from the national resistance,” and then, “You leftist pig cop, you won’t trample on the graves of our comrades anymore,” before stabbing Mannichl in the stomach with a 12-centimetre knife.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS