The magazine said the German Interior Ministry on Saturday confirmed the existence of the video on Youtube but added that it had been removed on January 12th.
The video by suspected Islamists did not contain the usual religious hallmarks and it remained unclear which particular group had created it, the magazine reported.
But text inserts at the bottom of the video warned of looming attacks. “We'll send an army in the midst of your cities, in particular Berlin, Cologne and Bremen,” they read as machine-gun fire and the sound of exploding shells is heard in the background. “Germany and four other countries will face problems starting February 2009,” the video allegedly said.
Focus said security experts were analysing the video, adding that the threats were linked to Israel's recent war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
Last weekend, another video allegedly put out by al Qaida was released in which a man speaking German specifically threatened Germany for its military presence in Afghanistan.