SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Police beat SPD politician in alleged racist attack

A young SPD party member was allegedly beaten and humiliated by police because he looked “Mediterranean,” daily Hamburger Morgenpost reported on Tuesday.

Police beat SPD politician in alleged racist attack
Photo: DPA

Two police officers are charged with bodily harm and false implication after assaulting Serkan Bicen, a member of the centre-left Social Democrats party in the city’s Altona district, during an identification check after a night out on early Saturday morning.

Bicen, who is of Turkish heritage, was out Friday night in the city’s Schanzenviertel district when the 21-year-old was stopped by the two officers and asked to produce his papers. “They told me there are always problems with Turks,” he said. “They wanted to see my ID and I simply asked why.”

When officers didn’t answer his question, Bicen said he reached into his jacket pocket to get his identification, and one of the officers suddenly punched him in the face.

“I was pulled down, handcuffs clicked and then they kicked me,” Bicen said. The officers then called for backup and brought the politician to the police station where they locked him in a cell, took his wallet and forced him to take his clothes off. “Then they found my SPD board member card and let me go immediately,” Bicen.

The young politician suffered facial contusions and went to hospital after he was released from the police station. Bicen said one officer defended his actions by saying the young man could have pulled a gun from his pocket, but he believes it was actually racially motivated.

“They only did it because I look Mediterranean,” he told the paper.

The case has been referred to the department for internal investigation. Police were not able to comment on an ongoing investigation.

CRIME

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

A German court on Tuesday handed a five-year jail sentence to a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard, the oldest person so far to go on trial for complicity in war crimes during the Holocaust.

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

Josef S. was found guilty of being an accessory to murder while working as a prison guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945, presiding judge Udo Lechtermann said.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, had pleaded innocent, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said at the close of his trial on Monday.

But prosecutors said he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the camp and called for him to be punished with five years behind bars.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

More than 200,000 people, including Jews, Roma, regime opponents and gay people, were detained at the Sachsenhausen camp between 1936 and 1945.

Tens of thousands of inmates died from forced labour, murder, medical experiments, hunger or disease before the camp was liberated by Soviet troops, according to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum.

Prosecutors said the man had aided and abetted the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and the murder of prisoners “using the poisonous gas Zyklon B”.

He was 21 years old at the time.

Contradictory statements

During the trial, S. made several inconsistent statements about his past, complaining that his head was getting “mixed up”.

At one point, the centenarian said he had worked as an agricultural labourer in Germany for most of World War II, a claim contradicted by several historical documents bearing his name, date and place of birth.

After the war, the man was transferred to a prison camp in Russia before returning to Germany, where he worked as a farmer and a locksmith.

He remained at liberty during the trial, which began in 2021 but has been delayed several times because of his health.

Despite his conviction, he is highly unlikely to be put behind bars, given his age.

His lawyer Stefan Waterkamp told AFP ahead of the verdict that if found guilty, he would appeal.

More than seven decades after World War II, German prosecutors are racing to bring the last surviving Nazi perpetrators to justice.

The 2011 conviction of former guard John Demjanjuk, on the basis that he served as part of Hitler’s killing machine, set a legal precedent and paved the way for several of these twilight justice cases.

Since then, courts have handed down several guilty verdicts on those grounds rather than for murders or atrocities directly linked to the individual accused.

By David COURBET

SHOW COMMENTS