German cyclist Sinkewitz announces January comeback
AFP · 17 Nov 2008, 15:18
Published: 17 Nov 2008 15:18 GMT+01:00
"I have signed a one-year contract," the 28-year-old told German television channel TVnews Hessen. Having joined the Czech Republic-based team, Sinkewitz is looking forward to the five-day race around the Spanish island early next year.
After testing positive for the steroid hormone testosterone on June 8 2007, Sinkewitz was expelled for a year. As a result of his failed drugs test, German broadcasters ARD and ZDF both pulled the plug on broadcasting the Tour de France last year.
Sinkewitz, a former Tour of Germany winner, was sacked by his team T-Mobile during the 2007 Tour after the failed test. He later admitted to using blood-booster erythropoietin (EPO) and having undergone blood transfusions.
The 27-year-old cyclist gave evidence to the German Cycling Federation's (BDR) disciplinary committee last year to have his expected two-year ban reduced to a year and he was fined €40,000 (US$50,000). Sinkewitz's ban expired on July 17 2008.
Sinkewitz insists he has learned his lesson. "The fact that I can cycle again is gigantic for me," he said."I have learned from my mistakes and would simply like to make a new start. This team offers a new perspective, which I need, and I will start with the Tour of Mallorca.”