Thieves pilfer cash machine with a bang

A window rattling boom woke up residents of Elmenhorst in the eastern German state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania early on Friday after thieves used explosives to boost a bank's cash machine.

Thieves pilfer cash machine with a bang
Photo: Stralsund police

Police from the nearby city of Stralsund reported two men in white overalls “deposited” a bomb at a cash machine. After the ATM exploded, the crooks picked up the money and fled in a small transporter that was parked directly in front of the bank.

There weren’t many details known yet and police continue their investigation. ”We don’t know much at this moment but specialists are working on it in the lab to find out what kind of material they used,” police spokesperson Officer Grotzky told The Local on Friday. “All we know yet is that it was quite a big boom.”

The front building of the bank suffered serious damage after the impact of the explosion burst windows and even curved some structural beams inside the bank building.

This isn’t the first time thieves tried to get their hands on some money by blasting open a cash machine, according to police.

“People are very creative when, let’s say, they don’t have a bank card. It’s usually a gang that does that kind of stuff,” said Grotzky.


German jailed for life in double police murder

A German man was given a life sentence on Wednesday for shooting dead two police officers to escape being caught for illegal game hunting during a routine traffic check.

German jailed for life in double police murder

The regional court in Kaiserslautern found 39-year-old Andreas Schmitt guilty of the killings in January this year, which sent shockwaves across Germany.

His co-defendant, referred to by the court as Florian V., was found guilty of abetting illegal poaching.

The 33-year-old was in the car with Schmitt when the officers discovered dead game in the boot, investigators said.

“We are all to this day horrified that a supposed routine control could turn into a fatal incident,” Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said in a statement after the verdict.

READ ALSO: German prosecutors say poaching led to double police murder

The victims were a 24-year-old woman police officer still in training and her colleague, a 29-year-old man.

The young woman was killed by a single shot to the head, while the man was shot four times, investigators said.

The officers were able to report that they were checking a suspicious vehicle and that shots were being fired before radio contact broke off.

When backup arrived, the woman was already dead and the man fatally injured. The perpetrators had fled the scene.

The crime in the Kusel district of Rhineland-Palatinate state triggered a major manhunt, with police deploying helicopters and sniffer dogs, sealing off roads and warning local residents not to pick up hitchhikers.