SHARE
COPY LINK

SEX

Czech cops post pics of German johns online

Czech police are cracking down on prostitution in the tiny border town of Chomutov by posting photos of German johns in the act on the internet, German broadcaster ARD reported this week.

Czech cops post pics of German johns online
Photo: Chomutov police

The police in the Czech Republic have little legal power to prosecute Germans who engage in “sex tourism,” so two weeks ago, they began resorting to public shaming online, ARD’s news show Tagesschau reported.

In broken German, the site introduces a photo gallery of “cars in which prostitutes are entering to perform sexual acts.” Faces are blurred, but license plate numbers are clear.

Chomutov deputy mayor Jan Řehák told the show that the website is just the first step in fighting sex tourism in his town, which lies just a few kilometres from the Czech border with the eastern German state of Saxony. The hamlet wants to rid itself of its sinful reputation, he added.

“We may also invite the johns who let prostitutes into their cars to an administrative hearing with the woman,” he said. “There they will have to give an explanation for what happened in the car.”

Dubi, another Czech town with the same problem, managed to scare German johns away last year with the help of German police, who sent photos to the address under which auto license plates were registered. Chomutov now plans to do the same, Tagesschau reported.

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS