SHARE
COPY LINK

IT

Dassault claims Siemens violated trade secrets

French software group Dassault Systemes on Thursday accused its German rival Siemens Software of trade secrets violation involving a "protected" list of Dassault's customers.

Dassault claims Siemens violated trade secrets
Did someone have sticky fingers? Photo: DPA

“Dassault Systemes … today confirmed a media report concerning a trade secrets violation by Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software, a competitor of Dassault Systemes,” the French company said.

“After investigation, Siemens admitted having found a list of 3,216 customer names from Germany, Switzerland and Austria” on the internal computer network of its software subsidiary, the statement said.

Dassault Systemes is the world number one producer of the product lifestyle system, a 3D computer programme that presents the life-cycle of a product from manufacture to maintenance.

Questioned by AFP, a Siemens spokesman rejected the charge that the company had violated trade secrets. It confirmed that it had been contacted by the French company in June about the list. He said the list did not necessarily constitute a “trade secret” and insisted that Siemens “respects the trade secrets” of its rival.

Siemens also said it was “astonished” that after discussions, Dassault had gone public with its allegations.

The Dassault statement said Siemens had since returned the list and promised to destroy any copies.

“Dassault Systemes deeply regrets that information obtained illegally could be found on a competitor’s intranet and reserves the right to any action it deems appropriate to enforce its rights.”

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS