Berlin Cathedral gets new golden cross
DPA/The Local · 19 Aug 2008, 08:33
Published: 19 Aug 2008 08:33 GMT+02:00
Installation of the 15-metre cross was delayed from May due to the late delivery of special steel from Bavaria.
The new cross is part of a €1.6 million ($2.5 million) renovation of the cathedral dome, a major tourist attraction on the Spree River in central Berlin. Federal and state funding and private donations – including €80,000 in individual donations and €480,000 from the Cornelsen Endowment for the Arts – financed the project.
Built between 1894 and 1905 and designed by Julius Raschdorff, the cathedral is considered one of the most important Protestant church buildings in Germany. It served as the court church to both Prussian kings and the German kaiser.