SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Girl gang attacks Munich man for talking on mobile too loudly

A multi-cultural group of teenage girls attacked a man in a Munich metro train on Monday evening because he was talking on his mobile phone too loudly, Bavarian police reported on Tuesday.

Girl gang attacks Munich man for talking on mobile too loudly
Photo: DPA

“The 24-year-old is still under observation in the hospital,” Munich police spokesman Gottfried Schlicht told The Local.

The student, a German citizen originally from Uzbekistan, sustained serious injuries to his skull and nose after the four girls and their male friend spat on the man and beat him brutally for annoying them with his telephone conversation while travelling on the U6 line.

Police said the boy was also treated for a mild hand injury after the student pulled a knife on the group during the attack.

The group comprised a 15-year-old girl from Venezuela, a 15-year-old girl from Kazakhstan, a 15-year-old girl from Ecuador, a 14-year-old girl from the Dominican Republic and a 15-year-old boy from Italy.

“Police are reviewing how they will press charges,” Schlicht said. The police statement released Tuesday said the youths will likely face aggravated assault charges.

The train was stopped at the Nordfriedhof station where the injured parties were transported to the hospital and the attackers were arrested.

Their parents picked them up after police concluded their investigation.

A study released in June by the German Youth Institute in Munich reported that violence among girls in Germany has more than doubled since 1993, but Schlicht said he hasn’t noticed a big problem.

“This was an isolated incident,” he said.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS