Group of German youth attack elderly man

A group of unprovoked young people assaulted a 63-year-old foreign man on Monday in Munich. The incident comes just after two young men were sentenced for an attack on a pensioner in a Munich subway station last December.

The elderly man from the former republic of Serbia and Montenegro was walking on a street in a southern district of Munich on Monday when he passed a group of about eight young people, police reported on Tuesday.

After two of the youth approached him, one hit him in the face while another kicked him. When the driver of a passing truck stopped to help the man, the group of young people fled.

The victim sustained an injury on his face, but did not require medical attention. Police have been unable to find the culprits nor ascertain a motive for the attack. The youth are thought to be around 16-years-old and of Turkish origin.

The incident comes after the sentencing of two young men for a brutal December attack on a 76-year-old retired teacher that sparked a heated debate over crime committed by young immigrants.

Last week, a court in Munich sentenced Turkish-born Serkan Aksu, 21, to 12 years in prison. Greek-born Spyridon Loukas, 18, was given an 8.5-year sentence.

That attack become the centerpiece of an acrimonious election campaign in the state of Hesse in January.


German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

A 50-year-old German man was jailed for life Tuesday for shooting dead a petrol station cashier because he was angry about being told to wear a mask while buying beer.

German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

The September 2021 murder in the western town of Idar-Oberstein shocked Germany, which saw a vocal anti-mask and anti-vaccine movement emerge in response to the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

The row started when 20-year-old student worker Alex W. asked the man to put on a mask inside the shop, as required in all German stores at the time.

After a brief argument, the man left.

The perpetrator – identified only as Mario N. – returned about an hour and a half later, this time wearing a mask. But as he bought his six-pack of beer to the till, he took off his mask and another argument ensued.

He then pulled out a revolver and shot the cashier in the head point-blank.

On Tuesday, the district court in Bad-Kreuznach convicted Mario N. of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm, and handed him a life sentence.

READ ALSO: Shock in Germany after cashier shot dead in Covid mask row

Under German law, people given a life sentence can usually seek parole after 15 years. His defence team had sought a sentence of manslaughter, rather than murder.

At the start of the trial, prosecutor Nicole Frohn told how Mario N. had felt increasingly angry about the measures imposed to curb the pandemic, seeing them as an infringement on his rights.

“Since he knew he couldn’t reach the politicians responsible, he decided to kill him (Alex W.),” she said.

Mario N. turned himself in to police the day after the shooting.

German has relaxed most of its coronavirus rules, although masks are still required in some settings, such as public transport.