SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Fine unlikely for man who beheaded Hitler waxwork

The man accused of ripping the head off a Madame Tussauds wax figure of Adolf Hitler in Berlin is unlikely to be fined because he is on the dole and unable to pay, German newsmagazine Focus reported on Saturday.

Fine unlikely for man who beheaded Hitler waxwork
The waxwork before it was beheaded on July 5. Photo: DPA

Focus quoted Berlin court spokeswoman Katrin-Elena Schönberg as saying the court cannot seize assets from someone who makes €959.15 ($ 1,526) or less each month.

The 41-year-old suspect said he is on welfare, according to the magazine’s report.

The Hitler figure is reported to have cost €200,000.

Frank L. is accused of attacking the controversial Hitler waxwork on July 5, the day the Tussauds museum opened in Berlin. Second in line when the museum opened its doors, he ran up to the wax figure seated behind a desk, wrestled with a security guard and ripped off the figure’s head.

He has said he was fulfilling a bet he made a day prior to the museum’s opening.

Some 62 percent of respondents in a Focus survey supported the museum’s decision to repair the Hitler waxwork and return it to the display.

Support was lower among older respondents, with 44 percent of those older than 54 years old opposed to the display. Just 26 percent of those younger than age 34 opposed restoring the waxwork.

The Tussauds museum on Berlin’s Unter den Linden boulevard displays 75 wax figures from German politics, sports and show business – including actress Marlene Dietrich, Chancellor Angela Merkel, Albert Einstein and Karl Marx.

CRIME

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

A German court on Tuesday handed a five-year jail sentence to a 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard, the oldest person so far to go on trial for complicity in war crimes during the Holocaust.

Former Nazi camp guard, 101, gets five-year jail sentence

Josef S. was found guilty of being an accessory to murder while working as a prison guard at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945, presiding judge Udo Lechtermann said.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, had pleaded innocent, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said at the close of his trial on Monday.

But prosecutors said he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the camp and called for him to be punished with five years behind bars.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

More than 200,000 people, including Jews, Roma, regime opponents and gay people, were detained at the Sachsenhausen camp between 1936 and 1945.

Tens of thousands of inmates died from forced labour, murder, medical experiments, hunger or disease before the camp was liberated by Soviet troops, according to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum.

Prosecutors said the man had aided and abetted the “execution by firing squad of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942” and the murder of prisoners “using the poisonous gas Zyklon B”.

He was 21 years old at the time.

Contradictory statements

During the trial, S. made several inconsistent statements about his past, complaining that his head was getting “mixed up”.

At one point, the centenarian said he had worked as an agricultural labourer in Germany for most of World War II, a claim contradicted by several historical documents bearing his name, date and place of birth.

After the war, the man was transferred to a prison camp in Russia before returning to Germany, where he worked as a farmer and a locksmith.

He remained at liberty during the trial, which began in 2021 but has been delayed several times because of his health.

Despite his conviction, he is highly unlikely to be put behind bars, given his age.

His lawyer Stefan Waterkamp told AFP ahead of the verdict that if found guilty, he would appeal.

More than seven decades after World War II, German prosecutors are racing to bring the last surviving Nazi perpetrators to justice.

The 2011 conviction of former guard John Demjanjuk, on the basis that he served as part of Hitler’s killing machine, set a legal precedent and paved the way for several of these twilight justice cases.

Since then, courts have handed down several guilty verdicts on those grounds rather than for murders or atrocities directly linked to the individual accused.

By David COURBET

SHOW COMMENTS