SHARE
COPY LINK

FOOTBALL

Hitzfeld warns Getafe to expect fired up Bayern

FC Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld warned that his side will be fired up and "angry" for Thursday night's UEFA Cup quarterfinal match at Getafe in south Madrid.

Hitzfeld warns Getafe to expect fired up Bayern

Romanian international Cosmin Contra’s 90th-minute equaliser snatched a 1-1 draw for Getafe at the Allianz Arena in last week’s first-leg and Bayern now have their work cut out to make the semifinals.

“It’s also thrown a damper on our morale,” Hitzfeld said on the club’s website. “But it’s no reason to hang our heads. We’ll be a little angry when we go there. We’ll be thinking it’s time to show them who’s boss.”

Contra’s goal cancelled out Luca Toni’s first-half strike and Bayern goalkeeper Oliver Kahn is rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of a winner-takes-all contest in Madrid. “We’re set for a fantastic European night, with all that involves, it definitely won’t be a 0-0 draw,” said Kahn.

After dominating Getafe in Thursday night’s first half, Bayern slipped into a mediocre performance in front of 62,000 fans squandering several chances to put the game beyond Getafe’s reach.

“We played really well in the first half and should have led 2-0 at half-time. We created chances every two or three minutes,” Hitzfeld reflected.

But Getafe were quick to exploit the gaps and created a number of presentable chances, before, as Hitzfeld, admitted “a chain reaction of defensive mistakes” finally paved the way for the equaliser.

“We have only ourselves to blame,” lamented Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.

No one in the Munich camp is contemplating elimination from Europe. “There’s still everything to play for. We’ll get through, even if it takes penalties,” said Bayern captain Kahn.

Hitzfeld has virtually a full squad to choose from with only long-term injury concern Hamit Altintop on the side-lines while reserve goalkeeper Michael Rensing is recovering from a tooth operation.

MUNICH

Four injured as WWII bomb explodes near Munich train station

Four people were injured, one of them seriously, when a World War II bomb exploded at a building site near Munich's main train station on Wednesday, emergency services said.

Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich.
Smoke rises after the WWII bomb exploded on a building site in Munich. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Privat

Construction workers had been drilling into the ground when the bomb exploded, a spokesman for the fire department said in a statement.

The blast was heard several kilometres away and scattered debris hundreds of metres, according to local media reports.

Images showed a plume of smoke rising directly next to the train tracks.

Bavaria interior minister Joachim Herrmann told Bild that the whole area was being searched.

Deutsche Bahn suspended its services on the affected lines in the afternoon.

Although trains started up again from 3pm, the rail operator said there would still be delays and cancellations to long-distance and local travel in the Munich area until evening. 

According to the fire service, the explosion happened near a bridge that must be passed by all trains travelling to or from the station.

The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, police said. So far, there are no indications of a criminal act.

WWII bombs are common in Germany

Some 75 years after the war, Germany remains littered with unexploded ordnance, often uncovered during construction work.

READ ALSO: What you need to know about WWII bomb disposals in Germany

However, most bombs are defused by experts before they explode.

Last year, seven World War II bombs were found on the future location of Tesla’s first European factory, just outside Berlin.

Sizeable bombs were also defused in Cologne and Dortmund last year.

In 2017, the discovery of a 1.4-tonne bomb in Frankfurt prompted the evacuation of 65,000 people — the largest such operation since the end of the war in Europe in 1945.

SHOW COMMENTS