SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Police mull DNA tests for teens after autobahn murder

German police investigating the death of a woman that occurred after someone threw a wooden block from a motorway bridge are considering forcing 1,200 teens in the area to take a DNA test, regional daily Nordwest Zeitung reported on Friday.

Police mull DNA tests for teens after autobahn murder
The police sketch of possible suspects. Photo: DPA

Police in the German state of Lower Saxony might ask all 16 to 20-year-olds in the Oldenburg area to take a saliva test, the paper reported.

Investigators believe that a group of young people, among them a girl with a ponytail and a boy in a baseball cap and light-colored jacket, were on the bridge around the time the crime occurred.

After police released a sketch of the suspects and German broadcaster ZDF called for witnesses to come forward, the police special task force has received more than 230 new leads in the case.

“A concrete suspect has yet to be found,” said police spokesperson Sascha Weiß on Thursday evening.

A 33-year-old mother of two was killed when an unknown person threw a 6-kilogramme wooden block from a motorway bridge on the A29 motorway near Oldenburg. The block crashed through the windshield and hit the woman, who was sitting in the passenger seat. Also traveling in the car were the victim’s husband and two children, aged seven and nine. They were not injured.

The perpetrators fled the scene and are wanted for murder.

According to the police, a similar incident occurred along the same stretch of the A29 several years ago when a stone crashed through the window of a moving vehicle. That time, there were no injuries as no one was sitting in the passenger seat.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS