Woman suspected of killing Swedish children rearrested

A 31-year-old German woman suspected of the murders of two young children in Arboga in central Sweden has been arrested for the second time by German police.

The woman was taken into custody by police in Hanover on Sunday after a new warrant was put out for her arrest by police in Sweden.

Swedish police said they had found additional evidence linking her to the murder.

Last week it emerged that the woman had been caught on security camera at Arboga train station.

“We believe we have pictures of the woman taken at times we consider important to the case,” police spokesman Torbjörn Carlsson told Svenska Dagbladet on Sunday.

Police have not yet been able to speak to the 23-year-old mother of the two murdered children. The woman, who was seriously injured in the attack, awoke on Friday for the first time since the attempt on her life on March 17th.

Police are hoping that she will remember the identity of her assailant.

The 31-year-old suspect was first arrested in Hanover on Maundy Thursday but later released when police did not have enough evidence to warrant a detention.

The German woman was previously in a short relationship with the 23-year-old’s boyfriend.

TT/The Local


German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

A 50-year-old German man was jailed for life Tuesday for shooting dead a petrol station cashier because he was angry about being told to wear a mask while buying beer.

German man jailed for killing petrol station worker in mask row

The September 2021 murder in the western town of Idar-Oberstein shocked Germany, which saw a vocal anti-mask and anti-vaccine movement emerge in response to the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

The row started when 20-year-old student worker Alex W. asked the man to put on a mask inside the shop, as required in all German stores at the time.

After a brief argument, the man left.

The perpetrator – identified only as Mario N. – returned about an hour and a half later, this time wearing a mask. But as he bought his six-pack of beer to the till, he took off his mask and another argument ensued.

He then pulled out a revolver and shot the cashier in the head point-blank.

On Tuesday, the district court in Bad-Kreuznach convicted Mario N. of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm, and handed him a life sentence.

READ ALSO: Shock in Germany after cashier shot dead in Covid mask row

Under German law, people given a life sentence can usually seek parole after 15 years. His defence team had sought a sentence of manslaughter, rather than murder.

At the start of the trial, prosecutor Nicole Frohn told how Mario N. had felt increasingly angry about the measures imposed to curb the pandemic, seeing them as an infringement on his rights.

“Since he knew he couldn’t reach the politicians responsible, he decided to kill him (Alex W.),” she said.

Mario N. turned himself in to police the day after the shooting.

German has relaxed most of its coronavirus rules, although masks are still required in some settings, such as public transport.