SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Swedish child murder suspect arrested

A 31-year-old woman from Stockholm suspected of the brutal murder of two small children in Arboga in central Sweden has been arrested in Germany.

A 1-year-old girl and her 3-year-old brother were stabbed to death in Monday evening.

The children’s 23-year-old mother was also seriously injured in the attack.

The main suspect in the case handed herself over to police in Germany at around 5pm on Thursday after an international warrant had been put out for her arrest earlier in the day.

“She stopped a police car and said she believed the police were searching for her,” Thomas Klinger, a spokesman for the German prosecutor’s office, told Aftonbladet.

The woman was being held for questioning in Hanover, said Klinger. She had not confessed to the crimes of which she was accused, he added.

A decision is to be taken tomorrow as to whether the suspect should be extradited to Sweden.

The suspect is a foreign national and lives in the Stockholm region. She travelled to Germany on Tuesday evening, one day after the double murder in Arboga, a family member told news agency TT.

Several websites contain pictures and information showing strong ties between the woman and the injured mother’s new live-in boyfriend.

Two police technicians from Västmanland county have been examining the woman’s apartment in a suburb south of Stockholm.

Investigators have now cleared the children’s 28-year-old father, initially the prime suspect, of any involvement in the case.

Prosecutor Frieda Gummesson submitted the new warrant on Thursday morning. Shortly before noon police stated that they had not taken any coercive measures or carried out any home searches in the hunt for the suspect.

The children and their mother were found with serious stab wounds at their home in Arboga on Monday evening. The children later died from their injuries.

Police have not yet been able to speak to the mother, who was seriously injured and remains under observation at Uppsala University Hospital.

According to the newspaper Stockholm City, several guards are on duty outside the victim’s room.

“We need to make sure that the woman is safe and undisturbed,” said police spokesperson Börje Strömberg.

He points out that there are no specific threats against the woman but that doesn’t mean that the perpetrator might not make another attempt to harm her.

“Since the man who was previously head denied any involvement we were forced to look at other alternatives and it is within that context that we became interested in the current suspect,” said Strömberg.

TT/The Local.se

CRIME

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard on Monday once again denied being complicit in war crimes during the Holocaust as his trial drew to a close in Germany.

101-year-old former Nazi guard pleads innocent in German trial

Josef Schütz, the oldest person so far to face trial over Nazi crimes during World War II, is accused of involvement in the murders of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945.

The pensioner, who now lives in Brandenburg state, has pleaded innocent throughout the trial, saying he did “absolutely nothing” and was not aware of the gruesome crimes being carried out at the camp.

“I don’t know why I am here,” he said again at the close of the proceedings, his voice wavering.

Dressed in a grey shirt and pyjama bottoms and sitting in a wheelchair, Schütz insisted he had had nothing to do with the atrocities and was “telling the truth”.

READ ALSO: Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court in Germany

Prosecutors say he “knowingly and willingly” participated in the crimes as a guard at the camp and are seeking to punish him with five years behind bars.

But Schütz’s lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, said that since there were no photographs of him wearing an SS uniform, the case was based on “hints” of his possible involvement.

“As early as 1973, investigators had information about him but did not pursue him. At the time, witnesses could have been heard but now they are all dead or no longer able to speak,” Waterkamp said.

Former Nazi guard

The 101-year-old former Nazi guard covers his face at the Neuruppin courthouse. Photo: picture alliance/dpa | Fabian Sommer

It would be a mistake for the court to try to “make up for the mistakes of a previous generation of judges”, the lawyer said.

Antoine Grumbach, 80, whose father died in Sachsenhausen, told AFP Schuetz “does not want to remember”, calling it “a form of defence”.

The trial was not just about “putting a centenarian in prison”, he said. It had also produced evidence that Sachsenhausen was an “experimental extermination camp”.

“All the cruellest methods were invented there and then exported,” Grumbach said.

READ ALSO: Trials of aging Nazis a ‘reminder for the present’, says German prosecutor

SHOW COMMENTS