Advertisement

Explosion under car killed convicted Berlin drug dealer

Share this article

The damaged car in west Berlin. Photo: DPA
11:03 CET+01:00
Police say that an explosive device placed under the car killed a Berlin man as he was driving in the west of the city on Tuesday morning.

The blast occurred during peak-hour traffic on Bismarckstrasse, within sight of the Victory Column monument, leaving the front of the car severely dented after collided with another car, while debris was strewn a few metres away.

Eyewitnesses told Tagesspiegel that the driver initially managed to escape from the car but then collapsed due to his severe injuries. Attempts on the part of emergency services to resuscitate him proved futile. At 8.40 am he was announced dead. No one else was injured in the incident.

“We suspect that it was an act of homicide carried out by placing a bomb under the car,” Berlin prosecutors told Bild newspaper.

The Berliner Zeitung reports that the victim was Mesut T., a 43-year-old man.

Prosecutors confirmed to Bild that the victim had previous convictions for drug dealing, falsifying currency and illegal gambling.

Police say they believe the attackers came from the world of organized criminality. Earlier on Tuesday they said there was no indication terrorism was involved.

Police have confirmed the victim was a 43-year-old man and say they are investigating whether he was the target of the explosion.

Spiegel report he is from Berlin and had a previous criminal record in connection with drug dealing.

This has not been confirmed by police who say a homicide team are currently investigating the motive of the attack.

Broadcaster ARD filmed the wreckage.

Police reported on Twitter that they were operating under the assumption that an explosive device had been the cause, adding that officers are currently at the scene to examine the vehicle for explosives.

The Associated Press tweeted that police said the explosion was likely caused by a bomb.

Police initially emphatically warned people in the area to stay away from the car, remain indoors, close their windows and stay off of balconies.

At about 11.30am, police said that they found the car to no longer be dangerous and said it was safe for people to once again open their doors and go on their balconies.

The area around the Deutsche Oper U-Bahn station where the car exploded has been closed off.

With AFP

 

Story continues below…

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

How to get British healthcare no matter where you are

Navigating the health care system in another country can be tough, and even when it all works out, sometimes you just miss the comfort of the system back home. But there's a solution.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement