Ben and Mia - Germany's top baby names
DPA/The Local · 30 Dec 2013, 10:36
Published: 30 Dec 2013 10:36 GMT+01:00
- Naked motorcyclist is talk of the town (23 Dec 13)
- Parked car rolls 200 metres onto motorway (19 Dec 13)
- Funeral director hoards 67 urns in room (16 Dec 13)
Mia claimed top spot for girls for the fifth year on the trot, while it was the third successive year that Ben has been the number one boys' name.
According to researcher Knud Bielefeld, who compiled the list, these names are growing in popularity. “When a name has established itself as being fashionable it stays there for a while," he said.
Emma, Hannah and Sophia were in second, third and fourth place for girls and Emilia also entered the top ten for the first time at number seven. Among the boys, Luca, Paul and Jonas were the most popular names after Ben.
Ben and Mia were the top choices in 13 of Germany’s 16 states. One of the exceptions was Bavaria where the more traditional Maximilian and Anna were the preferred option.
Bielefeld based his name rankings on 182,945 birth registraions from 447 hospitals and clinics.
Half of all babies’ names can be found in the top 60 of the list, but naming also reflects events of the year. For example, the name Lovelyn became more popular this year, with Bielefeld putting the rise down to Lovelyn Enebechi who won Germany’s next Topmodel in May.
The most popular girls' names
1. Mia 2. Emma 3. Hanna/Hannah 4. Sophia/Sofia 5. Anna 6. Lea 7. Emilia 8. Marie 9. Lena 10. Leonie
The most popular boys' names
1. Ben 2. Luca/Luka 3. Paul 4. Jonas 5. Finn/Fynn 6. Leon 7. Luis/Louis 8. Lucas/Lukas 9. Maximilian 10. Felix