Leverkusen confirm Schürrle Chelsea talks
Published: 19 Apr 2013 15:28 GMT+02:00
Updated: 19 Apr 2013 15:28 GMT+02:00
English football giants Chelsea are set to make Bayer Leverkusen striker André Schürrle their first signing for next season, with the two clubs currently carrying out negotiations in London, a spokesman for the German club said on Friday.
The deal which is likely to exceed €25 million may also see the 2012 European champions loan Belgian midfielder Kevin de Bruyne to the German club for next season.
"I can confirm that our spokesmen are in London and will then continue to Brussels. However at this moment there is no foundation for a decision," said communications director Meinolf Sprink.
The clubs sporting director Rudi Völler and manager Michael Reschke arrived in the British capital on Thursday and will then carry on to Belgium with De Bruyne who is currently on loan at Werder Bremen set to play a role as a makeweight in the blockbuster deal.
Daily Express newspaper reported earlier this week that Schürrle's father and consultant have struck a five-year deal with the Stamford Bridge outfit after failing with a €25 million bid for the player in the last close season.
The 22-year-old who can play as a lone striker or winger has scored seven goals in 22 appearances for Germany and appeared at Euro 2012 where Joachim Löw's side lost to Italy in the semi-finals.
He began his career at Mainz, scoring a club record 15 goals in 34 matches during the 2010-11 season and helping the club qualify for the Europa League before moving to Leverkusen.
De Bruyne is under contract with Chelsea until 2017 after signing from Genk in 2012 and has spent this season on loan at Werder Bremen, where he has scored six goals in an attacking midfielder role.
The 21-year-old has scored two goals in 11 matches for Belgium after coming up through the youth system.