Aldi dynasty continue to lead German rich list
Published: 10 Oct 2011 15:32 GMT+02:00
A survey published in this week’s manager magazin put owner of Aldi Süd, Karl Albrecht at the top of the list with his fortune of €17.2 billion.
Right behind him are the owners of Aldi Nord, Berthold and Theo Albrecht junior who are worth €16 billion. Dieter Schwarz, owner of Lidl and Kaufland came in third, with a fortune of €11.5 billion.
The recent Euro-crisis seems to have hit many of Germany’s mega-rich, with insurance and banking moguls, as well as those in the transport and construction industry, having experienced financial setbacks over the past months.
Among of the more unfortunate on the rich list this year is the Wacker family, whose fortune of €450 billion dropped to a mere €3.6 billion in the past 12 months, after stocks in their chemical company fell. High street drugstore founders, the Schlecker family also saw losses, as their €350 billion dropped to €1.95 billion.
BMW heiress Susanne Klatten boasts the biggest increase in wealth this year, as her previous €1.05 billion euro rose to €8.9 billion, putting her up in the top five with the supermarket moguls.
Even with the turbulence on the stock market, the total wealth of Germany’s 100 richest has increased by 6.5 percent to more than €307 billion over the past 12 months – although it is still significantly lower than 2008’s record total of €324.6 billion.
The number of families or individuals in Germany with a billion euros or more has also risen over the past 12 months from 91 to 108.
The manager magazin top ten richest Germans are -
1. Karl Albrecht and family (Aldi Süd) €17.20 billion
2. Berthold and Theo Albrecht junior and family (Aldi Nord) €16 billion
3. Dieter Schwarz (Lidl, Kaufland) €11.50 billion
4. Otto family (Otto mail order) €9.00 billion
5. Susanne Klatten (BMW, Altana) €8.90 billion
6. Reimann family (Reckitt Benckiser, Coty) €8 billion
7. Reinhold family Würth (Würth) €7.20 billion
8. Günter and Daniela Herz (Germanischer Lloyd) €7 billion
8. Oetker family (Oetker) €7 billion
10. Rethmann family (Remondis) €6 billion